Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Celebrating the Gift of Freedom ~ Self-honesty


One of the biggest gifts I’ve received in my life is the capacity to be honest with myself. This practice has given me the opportunity to make changes toward becoming a better human being.

For a long time, I did not have the capacity to be honest with myself and I did a really good job of pointing the finger at what others were doing or not doing instead of looking at myself and looking at what I can do (or not do) to change and become a better person. In the past I may have said, if you wouldn’t have done XYZ, then I wouldn’t have to yell at you. Yuk!

Today, after dealing with a difficult situation, some questions I might ask myself are: Was I being fair in that situation or was I trying to control the situation? Did I keep my side of the street clean or did my actions hurt another human being?

Practicing self-honesty has helped me to stop making excuses for myself and stop blaming other people or situations for my actions. What freedom!

What actions do you take on a daily basis to practice self-honesty? Do you take a daily inventory to see if there are any changes that need to be made to improve your communication techniques and/or your relationships?

No comments:

Post a Comment