Monday, August 30, 2010

Featured Non-Profit: ASPIRA – An Investment in Latino Youth

Back-to-school season has arrived. Some students have already begun their Fall 2010 classes and some (including my son) are getting ready to start.
This week, I’ve spent some time reflecting on my high school. I spent most of my high-school years worrying about what was cool vs. spending quality time on my education and character development. If there was one thing I could do differently in high school, I would have spent more time focusing on my education and getting involved in school activities, clubs or sports! Don’t get me wrong, I very much enjoyed my high-school years – I had a lot of fun and are a big part of what has made me who I am today. Just wish I would have given myself the chance to make a difference then.

Meet ASPIRA – an organization that has been making a difference in our youth’s lives for many years. Here is their story:

Since 1961, ASPIRA has been working at the grass-roots level to provide programs that encourage Hispanic students to stay in school, prepare them to succeed in the educational arena, develop their leadership skills, and to serve their community.
Their mission: The ASPIRA Association promotes the empowerment of the Puerto Rican and Latino community by developing and nurturing the leadership, intellectual, and cultural potential of its youth so that they may contribute their skills and dedication to the fullest development of the Puerto Rican and Latino community everywhere.

Check out the ASPIRA website

To all students’ young and young-at-heart, near and far who are going back to school this 2010 Fall season, we wish you much success!

No comments:

Post a Comment