Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Featured Store: Hecho de Mano “The Culture and Folk Store”


One of my greatest fascinations in life is Latin folk art. Ask anyone that knows me and they will tell you that I have the biggest Latin folk art collection in town. As a matter of fact, one of my best girlfriend’s raided my house when she decided to have a “Latin” themed wedding anniversary because she knew I had every type of Latin-themed decoration under the sun!
So, needless to say, we fell in love with the store “Hecho de Mano.” Not only do they feature Latin folk art, but they promote “Maya” artwork. “Maya” was not only my daughter’s name, however, it was also part of the reason I selected “Maya” in Palomaya - to celebrate the strength of the Mayan people.

Hecho de Mano store promotes Maya artwork with respect and dignity and showcases handmade textiles, huipiles, artwork , jewelry, books, and nature. You will find plenty of handcrafts from Guatemala, El Salvador, Mexico, Panama, Peru. Their Jardin/Garden grows select culinary herbs & Chile plants, unusual leaf & flowering plantings.

Hecho de Mano is also committed to promoting the Maya traditions here in Los Angeles. They put on many events, celebrations, lectures throughout the year such as the “Mayan New Year,“ “The Carpet Tradition”, “Day of the Dead” (Dia de Los Muertos) and cultural exchanges with Guatemalans, and other, Indigenous Cultures.

We also love their Responsible Partnership practices!

Check out their website

Hecho de Mano is also hosting an “Outdoor Boutique” this Saturday, August 7th from 10 am until 5 pm. Palomaya will be there showcasing our wares among other vendors. Come see us at the Hecho de Mano Arcadia store located at:

308 North First Ave.
Arcadia, CA 91006.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this shop! I had no idea I had something so close to me like this.

    I will try my hardest to attend Saturday and will stop by to say Hi!

    www.culturemami.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! We hope to see you there Marecela!

    ReplyDelete